This work session will focus on our progress in implementing three recommendations from the Magnet Schools of America.
- MSA Recommendation #3: JCPS should create a community task force with various stakeholders to determine the purpose, goals, and types of magnet programs that will serve students in the county.
- The Magnet Steering Committee will be redesigned to (1) include two co-leads to serve as facilitators and (2) include members from the community, external to JCPS, for broader stakeholder input.
- MSA Recommendation #4: The Traditional School model should be reviewed and updated to reflect current research.
- The subcommittee of traditional principals, led by Mr. Allen, will present proposed revisions to the traditional school guidelines.
- MSA Recommendation #11: JCPS should adopt a centralized application process and conduct lotteries for all magnet schools that take into consideration existing factors. This central process should also determine eligibility of students if academic criteria is used.
- Progress on standardizing magnet criteria in a centralized application process using three different scenarios will be presented.
If you wish to submit an open letter via “Dear JCPS,” you must submit it via the form below. As the thread grows, the posts and comments may be broken down into subcategories.
Submit your letter using the Open Letter Form.