Below is a compilation of letters @Dear_JCPS has published regarding the non-inclusive, discriminatory and bullying behaviors exhibited by leadership at duPont Manual High School to date. This list will continue to be updated as more community members come forward.
- When we SEE SOMETHING, we must have a way to SAY SOMETHING.
- Mayes’ Pattern of Intimidation Not Exclusive to Minority Students
- Manual Family Still In The Dark
- At Manual, “When We See Something, We Say Something” Rings Hollow
- Manual parent: “I have had ZERO communication from you, JCPS”
- Teacher: “My torment at the hands of Jerry Mayes”
- Gerald Mayes troubling attitude toward minorities
- Implicated Manual Teacher Issues Brief Statement
- Manual Graduate: Mayes’ Leadership Was “Reign of Bigotry”
- Current Manual Parent: “He Will Not Manipulate Me”
- Justice for The Students of DMHS
- Current Manual Teacher: Consider Limited Perspective of Defenders
- Current Manual Parent: Principal Sets Toxic Environment; Rules by Intimidation
- Ignoring “Minor” Incidents Allows Behavior To Continue
- Manual Principal — Another Opinion
- Manual Graduate: “He Had Issues With Us”
- Parent “Shocked and Appalled” at Manual Principal’s Behavior
- Manual Alumnus: Using My Voice To Help Others
In addition, the BSU has called for Mayes’ resignation.
We have been informed that an investigation is taking place. This investigation, however, is not to be confused with the culture audit that is simultaneously being conducted by Roger Cleveland’s group. If you wish to be contacted regarding the investigation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to send an email to the board and superintendent about your experiences or concerns, you may use this link. Copying Dear JCPS on your email lets them know that we’re also aware of the account, but it does not automatically mean it will be published. If you wish to have it shared, please contact us directly or use our Open Letter Form.
At Dear JCPS, we take your privacy and fear of retribution very seriously. Your submission may remain anonymous, however, to maintain the integrity of our organization, you will be asked to identify yourself prior to posting. Your name and contact information WILL NOT be shared without your permission.